All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, February 14, 2014

Dutch Baby pancake with strawberries






I saw a picture on Pinterest a few weeks ago that reminded me of the Dutch baby pancakes I made once in a while for the kids, a long time ago.  At the time, I used a recipe from another first grade Mom, but then it went missing.  The only problem with the Pinterest picture?  The recipe was in another language, possibly Swiss or German or who knows what.

Long story short, I emailed the recipe to an esteemed neighbor who speaks five languages, including Swiss and German.  Last night she emailed the translation back, and sure enough, it was the same recipe I used to use.

So now, dear friends, you can make this Dutch Baby perhaps for a Valentine dessert tonight!

To make these, you will need one or two steel or stainless steel omelet pans (mine is an 8 inch steel one),  without a non-stick finish, as it goes into a hot oven.


This makes 4 pancakes, using an 8" metal omelet pan.


Preheat oven to 400F.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter for each pancake 2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
two pinches of kosher salt
Zest from a large lemon
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Sliced strawberries - I used about a half cup of sliced berries for each pancake
Confectioner's sugar or maple syrup for topping



In your steel omelet pan, place a tablespoon of butter and place pan into the hot oven.

While the pan is heating mix together the eggs, milk, flour, salt, lemon zest, and cinnamon.  There is no sugar in the batter recipe - only  the confectioner's sugar on top of the berries.

When the butter has melted, use a pot holder to pull the pan out of the oven, then pour a scant 1/2 cup batter into the pan and place back into the oven quickly.

Bake for 15 or so minutes, or until the pancake puffs up and bubbles and you see a little light browning.

Using a pot holder, hold the handle and slide the pancake from the pan with a fork onto a plate.  Add the butter for the second pancake and place back in oven.  Continue until all the batter is used up and you have 4 pancakes.

Sprinkle the strawberries equally among the pancakes, then use a sieve to shake powdered sugar over the pancake.  Serve with more confectioner's sugar or maple syrup if you wish.  These are usually eaten with a fork and knife.

We got a foot of snow last night - and this was my reward for all that shoveling!






5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Kucky you w/your neighbour..

Happy VDay..

This looks like love on a plate~:)

katrina said...

I LOVE it - love on a plate! Nana, you are fabulous! And my neighbor just informed me Swiss is German, but with different dialects:) Oops. Happy V-day to you and yours!

Barb said...

I haven't fallen I to a snowdrift - although I have a few that I don't think will melt until July! I can't believe you got a foot (!) of snow - I'm sure you are so over winter, huh?

There is a restaurant near us that makes Dutch babies that look exactly like this (I've never ordered one, however). It does look like "love on a plate" - what a wonderful expression. This same restaurant makes some thing called a "Big German" which I think is similar but bigger and I don't think they serve it with strawberries - maybe just powdered sugar & maple syrup. Yours is so pretty!

And your last post pasta looks like something I'm going to have to try. You are so creative.

Stay warm and safe - careful with all the shoveling.

katrina said...

Barb - good luck with the piles of snow! Oy, what a winter! But what I love? The minute the sun comes out everyone is walking along the road beside my house - with their doggies or their children - love it! So amazing that Dutch babies seem to be everywhere in the United States, while here I was, thinking it was a local thing. My Swiss/German friend was fascinated by that name - and I now realize I never asked her what it was called in Switzerland. Must do, asap.

Yes, that pasta was wonderful! Do try if you have a minute. Happy almost Spring!

diary of a tomato said...

Wonderful antidote to late winter, makes me happy just looking at it!