All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, July 7, 2013

sizzling days: cucumber pickles with fresh dill




It has been sizzling here .  My outside thermometer registers between 90 and 110 degrees with the sun beating down.   I try my usual trick -  opening windows at night, closing first thing in the morning.  For two days, the house stays cool that way, but no longer.  We are down to cold showers and tepid pond water - the windows stay open all the time.

So, of course, one doesn't think of baking, but instead I reach for chilled French potato salad, stuffed HB eggs, and lots of lemonade.  One day I made Finnish cucumber salad and then wondered why I didn't just stash a jar of them as pickles in the fridge - they are cold, herby, and delicious on turkey wraps with fresh arugula.  I simply sliced the cucumbers, increased the amount of dressing, and stuffed them in a jar for instant gratification and quick, chilly, snacking.

To Make:

1 large cucumber or two medium, scrubbed but not peeled, very finely sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup de-stemmed, roughly chopped fresh dill

One large clean jar



Place the sugar, kosher salt, and white vinegar in a medium-sized ceramic bowl.

Stir the mixture until the sugar and salt have melted into the vinegar.

Add the dill, then add the cucumbers and toss well.

Spoon into the clean jar , cap, and store in fridge .


Stay cool, wherever you are!


5 comments:

Donna C. said...

Great minds think alike apparently. Just made my own batch of cucumber. I used rice vinegar and chili flakes for a spicy cucumber salad. Yours looks really refreshing!

katrina said...

Donna - that sounds great!

La Table De Nana said...

I was just pulling out my fave recipe:-)
Oh yours look so good..
Hot and humid here too...
Not complaining...raining...right now..
Winter is so long..flip flops are easier:-) i

katrina said...

Nana - not complaining here, either! Bathing suits and bare feet here:)

Your flowers are so, so pretty!

La Table De Nana said...

I know you're not..weather wise..we are so much in sync most of the time with our comments about our respective and often similar weather patterns..I have gotten to see we feel the same way:)