All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A delicious Mother's Day



With a new grandbaby , a two year old, and a seven year old, I thought it was a good time to make 
Mother's Day brunch for my daughter and daughter-in-law for them, heaven knows they have more than enough on their hands.







  A simple meal preparation  (as usual) stretched into several hours, in part because a new recipe caught my eye and we know how that goes:)  pleased to say this tzatziki recipe was fabulous first time out.  Boneless chicken breasts marinated in a yogurt-garlic-cumin sauce overnight, then baked and sliced, a fresh, zesty celebration of veggies:  cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion and black olives, garlic, dill and parsley.  So good!   I served it with chunks of goat cheese  - as we all know, goat cheese makes everything even better.  Marinating the chicken in a yogurt sauce overnight made the chicken breasts incredibly tender and juicy and I plan to use that recipe often.  The whole dish was colorful and tasty, though I was temped to add more cumin and oregano, everyone else thought it was perfect as is.  A little side dish of sliced avocado and some warm pita pockets was all I added to the table - the kids love fresh, healthy food and ate everything.

For dessert, I made a platter of strawberries with confectioner's sugar, and Julia's strawberry clafouti with vanilla and cinnamon,  and some simple shortbread cookies , some chocolates from my son -definitely a Spring celebration!  And then?  They took us all out for ice cream sundaes at our local farmstand.  Somehow we made room....


Hope your Mother's Day was a treat as well!






6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Don't they have their hands full?
I agree!Both mine had started little blogs about their kids etc..came to a quick halt..!
That was nice of you and everything looks grand..the clafoutis is beautiful and as you know I am so partial to flowers on food..and in the garden:)

katrina said...

That's funny, Nana! My daughter had a blog for a short time, but that was a long time ago.

Thank you for your very kind words, appreciated as always. Isadora gasped when she saw the violets - and promptly started taking pictures:) I'm pretty sure we can expect a blog from HER soon - she and I love to pin things on her board on Pinterest , one of my boards, but all her choices.

Barb said...

As usual from you, this meal looks so delicious and so pretty too. I know I've told you this before, but you do have such a special way with your photography. It is so obvious that you love good food, cooking it, photographing it and best of all sharing it. You inspire all of us.

Thank you!

katrina said...

Oh, Barb - thank you. I'm so delighted that you enjoy the pictures and recipes ! I do love every aspect of having a blog (except when I can't figure out a design or technical problem) and I'm always so happy when someone like you appreciates it. Many thanks again -

Katrina

kellypea said...

It all looks and sounds wonderful. I'm a pushover for anything with tzatziki. In fact I can eat it with a spoon. Talk about talent! Sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day, Katrina.

katrina said...

Kelly - it's the first time I've ever had it- or made it! But I loved the idea as soon as I read the ingredients. Next time I'll add a little more garlic and cumin, but it was a delicious find, and it went fast. You HAVE to try that chicken breast recipe! Marinating overnight in greek yogurt made it fork tender, even though they were skinless and boneless.