All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, April 4, 2013

easter leftovers and mexican chocolate scones






Do you still have Easter leftovers?  I'm thrilled that I finished off the the leftover ham yesterday - baked in a little tiny casserole with white sauce and peas and pasta.  Today's lunch was the last of the brightly colored eggs in a classic egg salad with fresh dill and hot relish.  And my dessert?  I sent the carrot cake home with the kids so I had a splendid excuse to make Mexican Chocolate scones this morning, some for me, some for a teenager I know who said this was his favorite recipe of all.  With all the sweets we inhaled on Easter Day, I'm  craving just a little bit more, before I faithfully go back to eating healthy.  ( I can hear my mother as I wrote that last word:  "It's healthfully and healthful, not healthy!" )  Hope you're enjoying the sunshine today!

Mexican Chocolate scones:

2 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 stick (4 oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup buttermilk ( if the mixture is dry, add another tablespoon or two, but be careful not to make the mixture too wet)

 Preheat oven to 350F.
Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder in mixer bowl and mix briefly, then add the butter and mix until the butter is incorporated well.  If you can see little bits of butter, that's fine.
Add the milk chocolate chips and buttermilk and mix until it JUST comes together.

Gather dough and pat in a circle.  Cut the circle in half in one direction, then half in the other direction, so you have four large quarters.  Cut each quarter in half, so you have eight triangles.  Place scones on a baking sheet and bake for about 22 minutes, or until the scones feel light and are slightly browned when you pick one up.   

Place scones on a cooling rack to cool.


8 comments:

Donna C. said...

Those look amazing! I can almost smell them.

katrina said...

Thanks, Donna - they DO smell amazing when they're baking - and warm from the oven, mmmmm. Hope you indulge!

La Table De Nana said...

They look great Katrina..love scones..cute little lunch for 1 too:)

katrina said...

Thank you, Nana - it was wicked of me to indulge again, but it certainly was delicious! And the casserole? Purely comfort food.

Barb said...

Oh, I am dying to have one of those scones! They look amazing! I can just smell the chocolate & cinnamon - YUMMMM!

The little casserole looks pretty yummy too.

You take the BEST pix!

katrina said...

Barb, you are sweet! Almost as sweet as the scones, which I hope you'll make asap. Perfect for these chilly Spring mornings! Still 20 degrees every morning here, longing for warm weather.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Sometimes you have to ease back into proper eating. Cinnamon and chocolate in a tender scone sounds delicious. From reading earlier posts about all the snow, I believe you are in New Hampshire...so am I.

katrina said...

I remember your name from somewhere, Karen - yes, I am in Hancock. Your photo looks a little like Keene? Lucky you being zone 5 - we are zone 3 here, surrounded by mountains.
I like the way you said that " sometimes you have to ease back into proper eating" - and how true. Today's lunch was spinach and sweet potatoes:) Thanks so much for swinging by!