All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, February 10, 2013

dark chocolate & espresso valentine cakes







Wowser, that was some blizzard we got!  Still digging out from the 3 foot snow that arrived the night of the 7th, but thankful we never lost power.  The last two nights I've fallen asleep still in my snow pants, and I'm thankful to have finally cleared most of the snow that the plows couldn't manage to reach, and the car is finally uncovered.  Bliss.  And now I'm behind on the Valentine express!

What goes together better than chocolate and coffee ?  That's what I thought, and I actually prefer these spongy little cakes to a chocolate bar, at least most of the time.  Intense flavor for a little cake like this, and the thought did cross my mind that whipped cream or buttercream frosting would sandwich nicely between a split cake, especially because they aren't super sweet.  An exalted Devil Dog, if you will, which I have eaten exactly twice in my life, but never forgot.  These could also be made as cupcakes, with a swirl of frosting, wouldn't that be cute?


Adapted from Muffins by Marie Simmons
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. instant coffee or espresso powder
2 t. baking soda
pinch kosher salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup double strong brewed coffee
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
2 t. vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease medium heart shaped muffin tins.

In a mixer bowl, mix in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda,salt,  and espresso or coffee powder.
In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk, coffee, melted butter and vanilla briefly, then add to the flour mix, mixing well.
Add the chocolate chips and mix briefly.
Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups. 
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the center of the muffin is slightly firm to the touch.
Let cool, then turn out onto a cooling rack.

This makes 15 heart shaped muffins.



Below is a picture of the snow from inside the front storm door.  There was so much snow I couldn't get the door open, so I had to raise the storm door panel and climb out to shovel:)



12 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Beautiful hearts for a snowy snowy time:)

Barb said...

Oh Miss Katrina - don't get buried in a snow drift!! three feet of snow is hard to comprehend. You more than earned some of these luscious Valentine cakes - they do sound like the perfect chocolate taste.

I chuckled when I read you had to climb they the storm door - very resourceful of you.

Stay safe, stay warm and please be careful!

diary of a tomato said...

Ah, the resourcefulness of a true New Englander ;)

katrina said...

Nana - if you are having the same weather, my sympathies:)

And Barb and Diary: I guess I AM a true New Englander- I'm certainly not going to wait for someone to rescue me....

Kate said...

Falling asleep still in your snow pants.. THAT is something every snow shoveling homeowner can relate to!
These little cakes sound dense and delicious.
Devil dogs were a rare childhood treat.
Wistful memories with an updated recipe.
Thanks, Katrina.
Enjoy!

katrina said...

Thanks so much for your empathy, Kate - and your very kind comments! It's been um....challenging:)

Barb said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you, Katrina!

katrina said...

Happy Valentine's Day to YOU, Barb! Thought the coffee wasn't a good idea for the little ones, so I made mini-pavlovas with whipped cream and fresh raspberries: big hit!

Barb said...

Oh - YUM!

A big hit indeed! - luscious & heavenly. Perfect.

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb! I think that's going to be a new tradition for the grandkids:)

kellypea said...

What would I do without my east coast friends' weather adventures? I truly enjoy hearing about them even though I can imagine how tough it is to deal with. Trying to picture falling asleep in snow pants...it's a whole different world! Lovely valentine cakes -- I'd have to keep them out of sight or they would be breakfast lunch and dinner. :/

katrina said...

Ah Kelly, it must be surreal for you, a native Californian, to hear about and see our mountains of snow and ice. Last night a wicked winter wind blew through for most of the day and night: the kind of wind that rattles your nerves and sends the temperature plunging. Thanks for popping in and checking out those little chocolate cakes!