All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, October 11, 2012

chunky oats and fresh apples for breakfast








It is apple picking time again here in New Hampshire, and the first thing I made with those fresh, juicy Macs was my very favorite breakfast this time of year.  Rolled oats with chunks of apples, cinnamon sugar, and a good drizzle of honey, heaven on these first chilly mornings when the temperature is 40 degrees, but no hard frost quite yet.

I take a quick hike up the hill first thing in the morning, delighting in the flash of sunrise, and come back to a lovely hot breakfast steeping on the stove, and remembering so many autumns in the past, when I was a very busy Mom.  Enjoy!


"This cool, clear morning brings back a lot of memories of this time of year with my children. Taking my daughter to the 7 o 'clock bus, still barely light. Hauling buckets of water down the hill to the horse in the fresh autumn air. Soccer games after school, when the weather could be anything from summerlike to sleet; picking apples at our local orchard. The mad search for mittens and hats, sweaters and parkas.
This time of year I often made this hearty oatmeal for my children, hoping to fill them up and keep them warm and healthy, and this morning I made it for myself, for all the same reasons. Finding the nuggets of slightly soft, warm apples in the buttered and sugared oats somehow makes the morning memorable. I measure a large (very large!) dollop of local honey into my spoon, and tip it on top of the oats, licking the spoon clean. Enjoy the season!"
(from October, 2010)


To make:
2 medium apples, peeled and cored, cut into chunks
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
2 T. cinnamon sugar (a little cinnamon stirred into sugar)
2 t. butter
1/8 t. kosher salt
Place the water, salt, cinnamon sugar, butter, and apples in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the oats, turn down the heat, and cook on medium low, for about ten minutes. Take off the heat and cover until ready to serve.
Serve with maple syrup , honey, or more cinnamon sugar.

No comments: