All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, July 3, 2010

tabouli salad with chopped mint and crispy veggies




This is such a delicious salad to eat on a hot day - loaded with crispy chopped vegetables and lots of fresh herbs, fluffed bulgar, and simply dressed with lime or lemon juice and olive oil. How easy is that? If you're new to the nutty grain, you can learn more about bulgar here.
This recipe comes from my old herb group, now sadly discontinued. We were a large group of mad herb gardeners who spent most of the gardening months swapping plants and sprigs, and plotting thefts of roadside sightings of antique daylilies and trilliums - in the dark.
To make:
1 cup bulgar
1 cup boiling water
Cover bulgar with boiling water, fluff with a fork, then cover and leave to absorb the water completely for a half an hour.
Place fluffed bulgar in a large bowl and add:
3 diced Roma tomatoes
1 peeled and diced cucumber
4 or 5 diced radishes
1/2 cup chopped Italian or curly parsley
1/2 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/3 cup snipped chives
Toss well then add:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Keep chilled in fridge until ready to serve.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

15 comments:

Sonia said...

Looks lovely, Kat
Saving to my evergrowing "To Try" list!

Anonymous said...

I will be making a very similar salad with Bulgar Wheat tomorrow. So yummy.

katrina said...

Thanks, Sonia! Oh, the aroma of all these fresh herbs and vegetables makes me so happy! Yum, yum:)

katrina said...

Ohhhh, would love to know if your salad is different, Kirsten! - Just love the freshness that this particular salad has - and for me, it's all about the surprise of mint. Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

This looks so fresh and inviting! I absolutely love tabouleh! I make mine with quinoa but occasionally use even cous-cous for a fresh twist.

katrina said...

Donna, thank you - but you said the evil words: quinoa and cous-cous. I have no idea why I loathe those, but I suspect it's all about texture. Still, I'll try to stay open for your delicious goodies ( and open mind:) Don't you just love the aromas of this salad? Ahhhhhh.

Anonymous said...

Kat, you crack me up! I understand the texture thing though. A couple of my kids used to have big issues with mushy foods. Hahah. Yes, I do love the aromas in this salad though!

katrina said...

Whew! Glad you understand, Donna!

There's just something about the graininess that puts me off, and I wish I understood what that was all about!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried "Israeli Couscous"? It's more like a very small pasta than a grain.

katrina said...

Don't even know about it - but I'll check at my fave organic food store and see - thanks!

Susan said...

Hi Katrina,
Tried your tabouli salad last night for dinner - yummy. Very crunchy and cool perfect for this hot weather.
I substituted kohlrabi for the radishes.
I will have fresh swiss chard at the market on Saturday any recipes I could share besides the stand-by steaming?
Thanks, Susan
Moose Brook Farm

katrina said...

What an awesome idea, Susan! Kohlrabi sounds perfect - crunchy, mild - fabulous!
Cgard. Hmmmm. I make a chard soup that's super easy. Should be under soups but I'll go take a look.

katrina said...

Chard soup is:
http://shesinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/06/from-farmers-market-chard-soup.html

Thanks again for the feedback, Susan!

Susan said...

Hi Katrina, Thanks for the link put as a favorite. Can't wait to try the soup looks really good.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Susan

noor said...



Thanks for share this POST see also:

شركة مكافحة حشرات
شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض