All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, October 19, 2008

morning glory muffins on a chilly morning





A chilly, but beautiful late fall walk had me longing for a nice hot muffin loaded with sweet carrots, bouncy coconut flakes, and bursting with juicy apples and plump raisins - which could only mean it was time to make these morning glory muffins.
Not as sweet as a carrot cake, but a little more interesting than a whole wheat raisin, these muffins are great to take along to soccer games or autumn hikes - or just hanging out on the sofa reading the Sunday papers. They freeze well - so , even though this recipe makes 10 Texas size muffins, you can just wrap up the leftovers and stash them in the freezer.
To make:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease two Texas size muffin tins.
In mixer bowl place:
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 1/2 cups unsweetened or sweetened coconut
3/4 cup raisins, dark or golden
1/2 cup fresh applesauce ( I used my rosy applesauce)
zest from one lemon, grated
2 t. vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
4 eggs
1 large fresh apple, grated
2 t. cinnamon
Mix well. Then add:
1 t. baking powder
3 t. baking soda
3 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
Mix well again.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop two scoops per muffin into greased muffin tins. There should be 10 Texas size muffins - 20 if you use the smaller muffin tins.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until tops of muffins are firm to a gentle touch.
Remove to cooling rack for 5 minutes, then unmold onto rack to cool another 5 minutes.
These are especially good with a nice hot cup of tea.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina~ I think I've made Morning Glory muffins in the past - at least some version of them. Yours look mighty tasty and a great reminder of a yummy fall-type muffin. (In my book - any muffin-any time - is a great idea!)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Tis the season, I think, for fruity, hearty muffins, Barb - I made and gave away most of the batch and everyone was thrilled. Something about the chilly weather makes us want something more substantial than watermelon chunks! Thanks again for coming by!

Martha said...

These are a favorite of mine that I've forgotten about -- thanks for reminding me.

Martha

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, just saw your herb butters, Martha - nice!
Funny how we forget recipes, isn't it? I hadn't made these in a few years, and now I'm thinking maybe some cranberries, or dried pineapple....recipes always seem to be evolving around here. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Yum, yum, yum! I hope to make these very soon!

katrina said...

I will as well, Shannon - and thank you for nudging me to take another look at these muffins I made in 2008!