All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, September 27, 2008

salted peanut butter & milk chocolate chip cookies on a rainy day






It's a sleepy, foggy, rainy day here in New Hampshire, the kind of day you want to stay in your pyjamas and read, or bake cookies.
As it happens, I was thumbing through a two foot stack of old Martha Stewart Living magazines from 2002, and I came across this cookie recipe. Instantly, my brain said "get up! get up and go make these cookies!", so I, a humble servant of my blessed brain, did just that.
I did not follow the recipe to a T, of course. And next time, because I like the taste of peanuts and salt together, I would sprinkle a light pinch of salt right on top of the cookies - I think that would be delicious. (PS. Written a few days later - I didn't like the salt sprinkled on top at all! Next time I'll try finely chopped salted peanuts and see how that works.)
To start, you mix the dough and let it chill in the fridge for an hour, so the cookies stay well shaped when baking. If you skip this step, I think they'll spread in an ugly way.
To make:
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla
3/4 cup chunky natural peanut butter - I used the Shaws brand organic peanut butter
1 pack milk chocolate chips - 11.5 ounces
Mix together well. Then add:
1 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
1 t baking soda
And mix well again.
Pinching up a piece of dough smaller than a golf ball, roll dough into balls and place on foil or parchment lined baking sheets. Place sheets in fridge for an hour. When you take the sheets out, gently press tops of balls, then sprinkle with fine sea salt.
Preheat oven to 350.
Place baking sheets, one sheet at a time, in oven and bake for 19 minutes.
Remove to cooling rack. They cool pretty fast.
Make a nice cup of lemon verbena tea or a wicked strong cup of good, aromatic coffee, and serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh,
These sound so good - Yummy !

These and soft oatmeal cookie are my favorite cookies - Oh I almost forgot shortbread type cookies like butter balls too.

Now I want a treat but I am too tired to make it right now.
Oh well, maybe I'll dream about them tonight - LOL

Organically Yours,
Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana - these are very fat, not dry but not chewy either, cookies. Somewhere inbetween the gooey, buttery choco chip cookies I make and the rolled oats-with-cranberries. Love shortbread, but make it rarely.....I'll have to get your recipe!
Happy dreams.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina ~

You probably think it's the cookies that brought me back (I do love cookies!!! any kind!!!), but really it just been crazy for the last little bit, AND...I just finished walking The 3-Day, 60 Mile Breast Cancer walk here in Michigan this past weekend. (Only one small blister and a shin splint!! Ha! Ha!)

I was reading the "Comments" section for the posts that I had missed, and I was honestly surprised to read that you were concerned. I never gave that a thought, but thank you so much.

Anyway, as usual, your recipes/photos make my mouth water and my tongue tingle. Which one should I try first??? Probably the cookies 'cuz I think I have all the "stuff" to make them in the house. (Okay - I'm a sucker for a cookie!)

Once again, I love your blog. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Give this lady a hand everyone! So pleased you really did it, Barb - 60 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

I was just concerned when you didn't come round - simply because you've been such a regular. Glad to know everything is fine.....