All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

creamy chunky corn chowder with dill


A few miles down the road is a wonderful, family-owned farmstand, Tenney Farm, famous far and wide for their corn. In August and September, most of the markets around here have bushel baskets overflowing with corn, with a handmade sign "Tenney's corn". I eat it raw, it's so fresh and sweet. I make corn salsa , too, but mostly I make this delicious corn chowder, fragrant with lots of fresh dill.
To make:
4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
3 large white or red boiling potatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced or sliced thinly
1 t. thyme
2 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob ( or frozen, if you must)
1 cup chicken stock
3 T. fresh dill, chopped
medium cream
salt and lots of fresh pepper
Cook the bacon until brown. Drain the fat off, and add the onion and potatoes to the bacon. Cover with the chicken stock and enough water to cover the potatoes by about an inch or two. Cook until potatoes are tender, then add the thyme, the corn, the salt and pepper, and the dill. Add a little more water if you need it - but not too much, since you'll be adding cream later. Cook about 10 minutes longer, until the corn is cooked. Add cream, a little at a time, until the chowder looks creamy and pale, with those delicious flecks of dill, bacon, and corn.
Adjust seasonings, add more pepper, salt and dill as needed.
New! On Twitter? You can find me there by clicking "tweeting on twitter" under the blog links here................

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina ~

Well, as you can tell, I look at your blog a lot - everyday (okay, sometimes twice a day, but who's counting???).

As usual, this soup looks soooo good. I do have some fresh corn that I cut off the cob and froze, so I probably can use that. Maybe not quite as good as your Tenney Farm corn, but it should work. I just have to gather up the rest of the stuff, and make up a batch. I'll report back after I get it made and have a bowl.

Thanks, once again!

Anonymous said...

REALLY? You look at my blog twice a day? How flattering is that? Very, and I thank you, Barb! Do let me know how it goes - you shouldn't have any problem, since it's a really easy chowder. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who liked raw corn - LOL
I go out in the garden and eat corn right off the stalk, a carrot straight out of the dirt - just wiped on my pants (same goes for a potatoe too)... my friends think I'm nuts - LOL

Organically Yours,
Diana

Anonymous said...

Then we're both nuts, Diana! I was reading a book last night , book in one hand, shucked corn ear in the other............

Kristin said...

mmmm... chowder... I just got a lot of really good dill in my CSA box. I looked at a recipe earlier for clam chowder that ChezUs made, but I have no clams and was wondering how it would be without them. I might try this even though I only have frozen corn :(

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, Kristin! Our supermarket moved away, so I was stuck when I went to the local market and there was no fresh dill at all. Frozen corn works just as well in this recipe - so do try! This is so perfect for chilly ( ok, freezing) nights this time of year.